Butter chicken's buttery texture comes from adding sour cream or natural yogurt and crushed almonds or cashews. Butter Masala is also nice with vegetables or fish.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs cut into bite sized pieces
1-2 Tablespoons Butter Masala
- 1 cup natural yogurt or sour cream
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup crushed almonds or cashews (optional)
- 1/2 - 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted (optional)
DirectionsCombine 1- 2 Tablespoons of Butter Masala and 1 cup of natural yogurt or sour cream. Add half of the marinade to the chicken. Marinate for 20 minutes in fridge.
Grill or saute chicken in oil, (after removing most of the marinade) until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from pan and set aside.
In skillet, heat oil on medium heat and when hot, add the onions. Sauté until a pale golden brown in colour. Return chicken pieces to pan.
To the rest of the marinade, add up to one cup of water or chicken stock. Add ½ cup of crushed almonds or cashews. Pour over onion and chicken pieces and gently cook until chicken is tender, well cooked and the gravy reduces and thickens a little. Salt to taste.
Add the Tablespoon of butter for extra buttery flavour.Serve hot over rice or pasta.